Saturday, August 20, 2016

ScrapHappy Saturday - RSC16 - Week 34

Welcome to Week 34 of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!  This week was all about finishing The Tennis Quilt and shipping man-child 1 AND man-child 2 off to college.  Anything else will be a bonus!

THIS is how my week progressed...

SUNDAY was Move-In Day at NC State for DS1.  While he was packing, I loaded the backing and batting of The Tennis Quilt on the longarm.  The top has since been draped over the rest, but I wasn't "in the mood" to begin the quilting.

Instead, I took a little tour through BlogLand and spent some time on Ravelry, where one of my friends posted about the Make Do Quilt Challenge and Giveaway that Sherri Lynn Wood (author of The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters) is hosting.  LINK to further information for those of you who are interested.

On MONDAY morning, I went to Knit Group for a while and then went to visit a friend.  This is the THIRD Monday of the month, so that means that I was off to Quilt Guild after my visit.

TUESDAY, I had a full day to devote to The Tennis Quilt.  I got an early start and...



Hit a snag after lunch.  :o((


Fortunately, it was resolved after changed bobbins and adjusting the thread tension (again.)  Ultimately, the quilting was conquered:



Went of to "Get Lit and Knit" Night at Mebane Knights.  My friend, Tracy, coined the phrase a couple of months ago and reminded us about it at Knit Group on Monday.  I just MIGHT have had a glass of wine with dinner!  :P

I bet some of you would have wanted to drive off with THIS:




Strange place to set up shop!!

On WEDNESDAY, I spent the morning with a friend and the afternoon making miles of quilt binding:



When early evening rolled around, I realized that I didn't get around to posting the Mail Call Monday post that I promised last week, so I put that together for your reading pleasure:



Before bed, I posted my latest quilt finish HERE.  The photos below give a peek at the quilting...

Front:



Back:




No, I didn't bother to match the seam on the panels of backing.

THURSDAY was the day I bound the Tennis Quilt.  Hooray!!  Just in time for Move-In Day:




After my weekly Quilt Group meeting, of course!!

It was fighting me every step of the way.  I miss cut the angle for joining the binding, ran out of bobbin thread while stitching on the last section, and chose the wrong color for sewing down the binding!  Issues, but it was STILL delivered before dinner.  :o))

FRIDAY was Move-In Day at UNC Chapel Hill for DS2.  You know what that means, don't you???



We are officially Empty Nesters!!!  Well...  Unless you count my recently adopted longarm quilting machine.  :o))

SATURDAY is Angela's LINK PARTY for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  After joining in the linky fun...  Even though I made NO purple (or gray) progress this week... It was an ESPECIALLY busy week!!  No comments from the peanut gallery.  :P

Follow me to BlogLand for some quilty inspiration because I doubt seriously that you will have any luck finding it in THIS sad little basket of gray scraps that I found in my sewing room:



The sum total of gray scraps in my stash!!!

Are you getting the idea that I don't use very much gray in my quilts???  In my defense, I do have one quilt's worth of medium gray, but haven't made the quilt, yet!!  I also brought some "low volume" gray prints last summer to use for a more "modern" feel in an upcoming quilt (also not started yet.)  I'm trying.

Until next time...

Get Scrappy!!!

11 comments:

  1. Enjoy the empty nest feeling! It really is quite wonderful, albeit a bit er echo-ey feeling...but freeing too. :-) I'm with you on the measly amount of grey in my stash and quilts. Not feeling this month's colours too much either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your empty nest while it lasts! Somehow they always come back. I also have very little gray. Just not cheerful enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the quiet and empty house. I'd happily send my two up to you anytime you need noise =) Congrats on the quilt finish and delivery. That is quite an accomplishment with all the moving out/in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I clicked iver to look at your RickRack quilt finish and it is beautiful! I am always amazed at how a simple block can create such an interesting pattern! I love the scrappiness of it. Empty-nest time is both sweet and sad - a big change for the whole family. Wishing your son and you a great freshman year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you running out of scraps? I'm sure some of us quilters can help you with that lol! No one can help you with the nest running out of children though. :^( They might come back after their studies are done. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't use much gray, either, so my gray scraps are even smaller than yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tennis quilt and enjoy your empty nest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finishing the tennis quilt. Drama Teen is working on college applications. We'll be where you are now, next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guess what? I have a bag with gray scraps for you! Will get them to you when I return.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness you had a lot going on this week!!! And empty nesting - you'll love that, take my word for it :*). As much as I love gray in my quilts for a soft neutral, I have amazingly few scraps. Maybe I use them all up in the quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that quilt was protesting the move to college - Ha ha ha! It turned out great - and congrats on getting the kids moving ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.